Friday, September 29, 2006

Punching Out on the Melting Timeclock

I've gotten a few e-mails on why I haven't posted on the torture debate.

I've been working on something for a while, a more general post, so that'll be up soon. But to tell the truth ...

... you see, I lead a life which, to be honest, already strains the boundaries of what I was brought up to consider realistic. I will be the first to tell you that I do not deserve to be inhabiting this particular karmic spiral. I'm a physics geek/bartender who told jokes on a couple continents; gets paid to write, basically, the movies he wants to see; swings by sci fi TV shows to hang; and bangs out a comic book every month. I carry a dozen digitally downloaded TV shows from an ocean away -- and a hundred gaming books -- in a second-rate computer with more power than the entire Apollo Mission Control in a backpack in my hybrid-electric car.

The knowledge of even the possibility of that that would have melted my mind at age twelve, and for the topper I'm married to a lovely woman so cool she loves me despite the weirdness. At the risk of summoning Princess Kanihara, there is literally nothing I expected less than the life I'm leading now.

Except that someday, I would be able to type the words "America tortures people, and locks them up without trial, violating not just the Constitution but the Magna frikkin Carta" in any context other than satire. The very moment I fully engage that thought, my life expands past the event horizon of unbelievability, and I fear it will collapse, revealing this world to be an "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge"-like reverie dreamt up while I lay passed out on the floor of the boys room back in high school after a vicious wedgie.

There are no Comments on this post. You will not engage me. You will not trick me into taking the red pill.