Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The book you haven't read.

On his Bad Signal mailing list, Warren Ellis mentioned that someone had pointed him at the American TV show House for an example of a "bastard" protagonist. Warren, predictably, appreciated the effort but found it lacking. This is because in American TV, "bastards" are mean to little children. In Warren Ellis' world, "bastards" beat little children to death, with parts of other little children.

I have a positively girlish fan-love for Hugh Laurie, so much so I passed up the chance to visit the set of the show when a friend was directing. I knew that if I met him I'd wind up making an ass of myself. I'm still enough of a geek fanboy to find some people cooler than the rest of us, and to choke accordingly. My voice cracked like a 12-year-old's on my first phone call to Michelle Forbes.

My appreciation of Laurie is not, however, becasue of his acting. Or his stellar writing on A Bit of Fry and Laurie, the sketch show he and Stephen Fry did back in the late '80's.

No, he wrote The Gun Seller. You haven't read it. Find it. Get it. Read the best spy-spoof-NOT-a-spoof written since the 60's. The violence crackles, the action scenes are incredibly well choreographed, the political insights are insightful (particularly for the time it was written), the dialogue -- both internal and external - laugh out loud funny. The back half of it winds up in an odd place, but by then you're far past caring. If I could craft a hero half as charming as Thomas Lang I'd claim the win, just bloody quit and go back to bartending.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Either me or Justin, back when CHUD has that book section.

Unknown said...

I have read it and just remember it being pretty damn funny the whole way through. I still have my hard back copy of it.

Of course since reading it I have been waiting very patiently for a new book.

Unknown said...

Well damn you Rogers since now I have gone and added another book to my bedside table to read. Had to go down and get my copy of The Gun Seller out of the garage.

Matt said...

Laurie was also the best thing in otherwise exerable BBC '24'-knockoff "Spooks" (I think called 'MI5' in the US), as a horribly superior MI6 chief.

Worth bittorrenting just for the part where he insults a posh old lady at the opera.

Anonymous said...

AgaricPro merupakan Obat Stroke produk BestAgaric, AgaricPro berguna sebagai Obat Darah Tinggi, obat maag, Obat Hernia, Obat Stroke, Obat Darah Tinggi, AgariPro merupakan Obat Herbal sebagai Solusi Masalah Kesehatan Anda, AgaricPro Obat Herbal Alami Paling Ampuh healthylife indonesia seperti Penyakit Wanita, Obat Keputihan Crystal X, Trica Jus, Nes V semuanya dapat didapatkan di Tasik Store